On December 27, 2018, the Vermont Public Utility Commission (“Commission”) submitted paperwork to the Interagency Committee on Administrative Rules to initiate rulemaking to revise Commission Rule 5.300, Energy Efficiency Charge.
The rule establishes the methodologies for calculating the Energy Efficiency Charge (“EEC”) rates to meet the Energy Efficiency Utilities’ budgets. (EEU budgets are determined through a separate Commission process.) The EEC rates are applied to the amount of electricity and natural gas a customer consumes to determine the individual EEC amounts for that customer.
The proposed rule includes the following updates:
- Adding the methodologies to calculate the Natural Gas EEC rates, which are currently calculated pursuant to Commission order. This rulemaking does not alter the current methodology;
- For the Electric EEC, ensuring all customers are billed based on their gross electric consumption;
- Directing the Energy Efficiency Utilities to calculate the EEC rates, rather than the Vermont Department of Public Service;
- Allowing the Energy Efficiency Utilities to use sale forecasts when calculating the EEC rates, rather than historic billing determinants;
- Allowing the EEUs to propose alternative methods to calculate the EEC rates, with continued oversight by the Department of Public Service and the Commission;
- Exempting the Kingdom Community Wind and Jay Synchronous Condenser facilities from payment of the EEC consistent with Commission rules and past practice; and
- Making grammatical and stylistic updates.
The proposed updates are the outcome of proceedings in Case No. 17-4697-INV, Proceeding Regarding Proposed Revision of Commission Rule 5.300.
After the Interagency Committee on Administrative Rules completes its review, the proposed rule will be filed with the Vermont Secretary of State. At that time, a formal notice of the rule will be published, a public comment period will be established, and a public hearing scheduled. The Commission will provide more information about this rulemaking once it is available.
The draft rule, full filing submitted to the Interagency Committee on Administrative Rules, and documents from Case No. 17-4697-INV are available through ePUC, the Commission’s electronic document management and filing system. The case number for this rulemaking is 19-0053-RULE. Further information about using ePUC is also available.